Friday, April 18, 2008

Tree coring expedition

In case any of you don't know, I (Julia) am currently working on my master's degree. To get my degree I have to complete a master's project of my choice. Before I came to Maryland I was working with a prof. from BYU doing tree-ring studies. I decided I wanted to continue the subject so I did a tree-ring study in Montezuma Canyon, UT. I am on the verge of finishing my project and so I thought I would share some of our photos from the field work we did last summer. I have to give my parents and David a lot of credit for the work we accomplished last summer. I could not have done it without them!
David spent several hours in this tree we lovingly named "Fergus." It only takes a few minutes to get the boring tool (tool used to extract a tiny core from the tree) into the center of the tree, but if the tree is very big and rotten in the middle it can take hours to pull it out. If David hadn't been there to help me, the boring tool would still be stuck in that tree! Thanks for hanging in there so long David! It must be love!
There are hundred of Anasazi ruins in the canyon (my parents have excavated a number of them!). This is a kiva in the canyon that David is coming out of. My parents and other members of their field school reconstructed this kiva.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This really brings back memories of the trips to Montezuma Canyon. The two of you got the chance to test your muscles on some really large trees. Congrats, Julia, on your great paper and hard work. Love, Mama